If you are new to skateboarding it can be difficult to find the best longboard for your needs because of how many different styles are available. For skateboarding it is important to shop from the best skateboard brands and the same thing is true for longboarding. In the section below we will talk about the different types of longboards but also give a few recommendations on brands you should look at.
Types of Longboards
In the section below we have listed the most popular types of longboards as well as what type of riding styles they are good for, and recommendations for who should buy these types of longboards.
Downhill longboards are one of the most common types of longboards because of their versatility but they are really known for their potential to reach max speed. Downhill longboards are sepcifically designed to reach the fastest speeds possible and have been known to reach over 50 MPH. There are some instances of extreme downhill longboards or professionally made downhill longboards have set speed records by going over 80 MPH. Most individuals wont use downhill longboards to set speed records.
Most individuals will buy a downhill longboard because of how easy it is to ride and how fun it is to ride. Downhill longboards are great for beginners because of how stable they are but they are capable of going really fast which can make it scary for beginners. We think downhill longboards are great for beginners but we recommend you be careful going down hills if you aren’t an experienced rider.
Downhill Longboards Features:
- Downhill longboards are known for their ability to reach max speeds.
- They are most commonly used for bombing hills.
- They provide a stable and smooth riding.
- Great for beginners but we recommend you take your time before bombing hills.
- Easy to turn and control.
Drop Through Longboards
A drop through longboard has grown in populairty in recent years because of how smooth the ride is but also how easy it is to carve. The drop through longboard is known for its shape. The longboard looks similar to a normal longboard but has a narrow cutout on the nose and the end of the longboard. These cutouts allow riders to perform sharper turns and carve because the wheels won’t hit the bottom of the deck.
Drop Through Longboards Features:
- Drop through longboards come in many different sizes but they are all good for cruising at high speeds.
- The cut out in the longboards allows for sharper and more precise turns.
- Great for carving and dancing.
- Allows for low speed carving as well as high speed carving.
- Drop through longboards provide high levels of control and ease when riding.
Carving longboards come in a variety of different shapes and sizes but they are known for their ability to allow riders to carve and control their longboards in ways that other types of longboards can’t offer. These types of longboards are often used for carving contests, for cruising, as well as dancing. They will typically have larger wheel and a more stable deck which provides the rider with more stability and control. Carving boards are great for beginners as well as experienced longboard skaters.
Carving Longboards Features:
- Carving longboards are great for precise and accurate carving.
- Carving longboards will typically range from 30 inches to 45 inches in length.
- Carving longboards will typically have larger wheels which makes them smoother and easier to ride on the street or other bumpy terrain.
- Carving boards are known for their mobility and ability to perform sharp turns.
- They are great for beginners as well as for experienced longboarders as well.
Cruising longboards are the original type of longboards and are often one of the first things that beginners will think of when they think about buying a longboard. They are much longer than standard street skateboards and have much larger wheels. This provides them with a much more stable and easy to ride nature. Cruising longboards are designed specifically for cruising around town with minimal effort. This means it only takes a few pushes to pick up speed and maintain speed as you go. Cruising longboards are great for beginners and are typically the first longboard we recommend you buy.
Cruising Longboards Features:
- Cruising longboards are the original longboards.
- They are created specifically for cruising around town on flat ground.
- They allow the ride to maintain speed with minimal effort so riding is fun and near effortless.
- Cruising longboards are great for beginners and experienced skaters.
Pintail longboards are known for their unique teardrop shape at the end of the longboard. Similar to drop through longboards, this unique shape allows for deeper and sharper turns because the wheels won’t catch on the bottom of the deck. Pintail longboards are great for those who want to cruise but also for those who want to carve. The shape of the board is great for carving but the shape of the board can also be difficult for those who have large feet.
Pintail Longboards Features:
- The pintail longboard is one of the most unique shapes out of all of the different types of longboards.
- The teardrop shape at the end of the board allows for sharper turns.
- The boards will typically have larger wheels which provides a smoother and faster ride.
- It is important to give the board a try before buying a pintail longboard if you have extremely large feet.
Which Types of Longboards Should I Get?
Now that you have a better understanding of the different types of longboards it is important that you know about which type of longboard you should buy. It is important to pick a longboard based on your riding style as well as your height and weight. Longboards will provide different riding styles based on the type of longboard you buy. If you want a longboard so you can bomb hills and go as fast as possible then a downhill longboard should be your number one choice.
If you want to learn how to carve then a carving or drop through longboard is a good option. Each different type of longboard provides a different riding experience. The second thing to think about is your height and weight. If you are larger then it is important to buy a larger longboard that is more stable and will be easier to ride. If you are smaller it can be difficult to control a large longboard so we typically recommend that you buy a smaller longboard. Those are the two most important factors when thinking about the different types of longboards and which type is best for you.
Types of Longboards Conclusion
Now that you know about the different types of longboards available on the market it is time to buy your first longboard! We think you will absolutely love longboarding and it will even meet new friends because of it! If you have any questions about longboarding or skateboarding we highly recommend you reach out to our team. For more informational articles please read our most recent longboarding and skateboarding blog articles.