One of the most important things you can do to keep your skateboard healthy and improve your skating is to make sure your griptape is clean. If your griptape is dirty or damaged it can have a serious impact on your balance and how well you skate. It doesn’t matter if it is the best skateboard brand or the best longboard brand, your griptape will still get dirty and wear out eventually. In this article we will teach your how to clean griptape.
Having a dirty griptape on your skateboard or longboard can make it difficult to perform tricks as well as just make it difficult to skate because your shoes wont have good grip on the board. This means you could slip and fall off your skateboard which means if you don’t clean your skateboard you have the potential of getting hurt. Let’s learn why it is important to clean your griptape and how to clean griptape.
How To Clean Griptape
Cleaning your griptape is pretty easy and can be incredibly beneficial. Cleaning your skateboard griptape will improve the health of your skateboard but will also help you skate better and more safely. Below are the steps and items required to clean your griptape.
Equipment Required to Clean Griptape:
- Window Cleaner (soap and water if you don’t have window cleaner)
- A soft towel
- A scrub brush or old toothbrush
Steps To Clean Skateboard Griptape:
- Lightly spray your dirty griptape with window cleaner. If you don’t have window cleaner you can mix soap and water and lightly cover the griptape.
- You don’t want to use too much window cleaner or soapy water as this could water log your board. Use just enough to cover the surface of your skateboard.
- Then lightly scrub the griptape with your scrub brush or your old toothbrush.
- You should see most of the dirty and grim come off after just a few scrubs.
- You may have to repeat these steps a few times to completely clean your griptape.
- After you are finished cleaning your griptape, you can use your soft towel to completely dry your griptape and skateboard.
- As there are many different types of longboards and different size skateboards, this process can be as short as just a few minutes or may take longer.
- It is important to make sure your skateboard is completely dry after cleaning the griptape.
How To Clean Griptape Video Tutorial
Why Clean Your Griptape?
It is important to regularly clean your griptape in order to provide you with a safe and easier skating experience. If your griptape is dirty then it can cause your feet to slip off the board because you don’t have good traction on the griptape. This means that by having dirty griptape it could lead to injury. Having a dirty griptape can also lead to having to replace your griptape or skateboard more often as the dirty will deteriorate the griptape.
How Long Does It Take To Clean Griptape?
The process of learning how to clean your griptape and then actually cleaning your skateboard griptape will only take a few minutes. The time required may vary depending on the size of your skateboard but in the end it will only take a few minutes. The process is incredibly easy and can be performed by nearly anyone.
Should I Clean My Gripetape or Replace My Griptape?
There may come a point where it will be more beneficial to replace your griptape or buy a brand new skateboard compared to just cleaning your griptape. The griptape can be cleaned many times and it will improve the health of it, but if your griptape is becoming incredibly thin or has holes in it then it may be time to replace your griptape. Cleaning the griptape won’t be very beneficial if the griptape is damaged.
If you have any questions about skateboards or longboards that you would like our team to answer, we highly recommend you reach out to our team. For more informational articles you can read our most recent skateboard blog articles.