Cleaning your skateboard bearings is a great way to improve how they ride and how long they last. Skateboarders who take care of their equipment report smoother rides and longer lasting bearings. In this post, we will show you how to clean skateboard bearings with household supplies so you can spend less time cleaning them!
- Benefits of Cleaning Skateboard Bearings
- How To Clean Skateboard Bearings: Video Tutorial
- How To Clean Skateboard Bearings
- Step 1: Remove The Skateboard Wheels
- Step 2: Remove The Skateboard Bearings & Shields
- Step 3: Soak The Skateboard Bearings
- Step 4: Completely Dry & Re-Lubricate Bearings
- Step 5: Replace The Skateboard Bearings & Shields
Benefits of Cleaning Skateboard Bearings
There are many benefits of cleaning your skateboard bearings on a routine basis. This is a good practice that every skateboarder should get into the habit of doing. It doesn’t matter if you ride the best skateboard brands or if you ride cheaper skateboards, it is still important to clean your skateboard bearings on a routine basis.
Below are a few of the benefits of cleaning your skateboard bearings on a routine basis:
– Your skateboard bearings will last longer and stay in better shape if they are clean. When bearings become dirty, the grime and debris will begin to break down the physical structure of the bearings. Having dirty bearings can cause your bearings to fall apart and break so it is vital that you clean them when you can see physical dirt on them.
– Clean bearings helps your skateboard to go faster and smoother on the pavement or smooth surface. If you want a smooth ride then having clean bearings is vital for the success of your ride.
– You’ll be able to ride more because of how smooth they are now that they’re cleaned up! When your skateboard is in good health, then you are able to skate even more!
How To Clean Skateboard Bearings: Video Tutorial
How To Clean Skateboard Bearings
Now that you know about the benefits of cleaning your bearings, lets learn how to clean skateboard bearings.
Step 1: Remove The Skateboard Wheels
The first step is to remove the skateboard wheels from your board with an allen wrench. It is incredibly easy to remove skateboard wheels from your trucks but it can be difficult for beginners. But once you remove the wheels from your skateboard for the first time you will be able to do it easier the next time.
Step 2: Remove The Skateboard Bearings & Shields
The next step after you remove the skateboard wheels is to remove the bearings and shields from the hardware. In order to thoroughly clean your bearings you must have them separated from the skateboard.
Step 3: Soak The Skateboard Bearings
Once the bearings are removed from the skateboard we recommend that you begin soaking them in a bowl of warm water mixed with soap. It is important to soak the bearings to help remove any debris or dirt that are stock on the bearings. You can also use a little bit of vinegar in the water to help remove any rust or dirt that is on your bearings.
Step 4: Completely Dry & Re-Lubricate Bearings
Once the bearings have been soaking for a few minutes, we recommend that you give them a light scrub with a piece of paper towel. Afterwards, you want to make sure that they have been completely dried and re-lubricated with a good quality skateboard bearing oil.
Step 5: Replace The Skateboard Bearings & Shields
After the bearings have been completely clean and re-lubricated it is time to put the bearings back on your skateboard. These will go on the same way they came off and will be pretty easy to replace.
After the bearings and shields are back on the skateboard, it is time to ride your skateboard again. And that is how you clean skateboard bearings!